The Journal is an object, accessible from the chapter selection screen, that tracks the player's progress such as completed chapters, collected strawberries and crystal hearts, and so on.
Contents[edit | edit source]
The cover contains Madeline's name as set by the player.
The first page, named "Progress", contains progress for every unlocked chapter except Prologue and Epilogue. From left to right, the following information can be found:
- A green flag (or a bird for Farewell) indicates that the chapter has been completed, and a yellow flag indicates that the chapter has been cleared.
- A cassette, which means that a cassette tape for this chapter has been collected.
- Collected crystal hearts.
- Collected strawberries.
- Number of deaths taken in this chapter's A-Side (indicated by the white skull), B-Side (indicated by the red skull) and C-Side (indicated by the yellow skull).
- Total time spent in this chapter (cumulative across all sides).
Additionally, total numbers of strawberries collected, deaths taken and time spent can be found in the "TOTALS" section.
The second page, named "Records: Speedruns", logs the times of the fastest completions of A-, B- and C-Sides of each chapter, as well as the fastest full clear time. The "TOTALS" section displays the sum of the times for each category, and only appears when all 8 chapters are completed.
Farewell is listed as a separate entry here, under the "TOTALS" section. When all chapters are filled in, the "GRAND TOTAL" section will appear.
The third page, named "Records: Fewest deaths", is similar to the previous page. It contains the fewest number of deaths this chapter' side has been completed in. Unlike the "Records: Speedruns" page, it does not show information about the full clear.
The fourth page, named "Crystal hearts", shows all blue and red crystal hearts collected by the player, along with their names. This is the only page that can be interacted with. The crystal hearts can be rearranged, but this is purely cosmetic.
The fifth page shows the number of global (by all players) deaths, dashes, collected strawberries and golden berries, as well as PICO-8 deaths, completions and collected strawberries. It does not exist on some platforms.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- ↑ Information about B-sides will be displayed if at least one cassette tape is found.
- ↑ Information about C-sides will be displayed if C-sides are unlocked.
- ↑ The values in the "TOTALS" section on the first page for total time and total deaths may be larger than the sum of those for all chapters listed in the Journal. This is due to it counting time and deaths for Prologue in order to be consistent with the speedrun timer.
- ↑ If the entry is marked with a gray dot, it means that the chapter was not fully completed in one go (i.e. was restarted from the checkpoint).
- ↑ If the side's golden berry is collected, the number of deaths is set to 0 even if Madeline has died before or after collecting it.