Debug Mode is a hidden feature in the game that unlocks a lot of features which are used for testing purposes, as well as various quality of life improvements to make playtesting and editing levels easier. It was used by the developers to test various elements of the game, but currently it's left hidden and can be unlocked via editing the game files in the game. Debug Mode can only be accessed in the PC versions of Celeste.
Enabling Debug Mode[edit | edit source]
Debug Mode can be enabled in two ways: by editing the settings file and through the Everest mod loader.
- The first method can be done through editing the settings.celeste file that can be found in the Saves folder in the game's directory. At the very end of the text file, there's a row named "LaunchInDebugMode" that is set to "false" on default. Changing it to "true" will enable Debug Mode.
- An alternate way to do it is by downloading the mod loader: Everest, and selecting Mod Options in the menu. It will have a toggle Debug Mode option that can be turned on if needed. It will require restarting the game.
Menu features[edit | edit source]
Pressing the spacebar in the menu allows players to move around the camera freely around the overworld. The WASD keys are used to move around, Q and Z are used to scroll the camera upwards and downwards, and the mouse can be used to rotate it.
Two lines of text will display at the top-left corner, with the first showing the coordinates the camera is facing, while the second one displays the position of the camera itself.
Debug savefile[edit | edit source]
On the main menu, there will be an extra option named "~~DEBUG~~". Upon selecting, it will enable an extra savefile with every chapter unlocked. It behaves very similarly to a Cheat Mode file with the exception that most statistics upon completing a level get reset, such as strawberry counts.
It's very useful for playtesting purposes as well as an extra file for practicing, if all other savefiles have been used already.
Debug Map[edit | edit source]
The Debug Map can be accessed by presing Tab (F6 with Everest) on the keyboard, and it will open a grid that displays the chapter's room layouts, often separated with colors that resemble certain checkpoints or sections of the game. The debug map allows the player to freely teleport to specific rooms, including spawnpoints that cannot normally be accessed due to lack of a respawn trigger.
Debug Console[edit | edit source]
Pressing "~" will enable an in-game console that allows the player to enter a large variety of different commands. Apart from that, it also enables hitbox view for tiles and entities.
The list of commands can be seen below:
give_golden (gives you a golden)
q (closes the Debug Console)
Everest changes and features[edit | edit source]
Everest modifies certain features in Debug Mode to fix errors and to add small quality of life improvements as well. Some of the features include:
- Changing the Debug Map button to F6, making alt-tabbing out of the game safer.
- The ability to spawn the player at the cursor's position, done by shift + mouse clicking.
- Resetting the map after debug respawn, via ctrl + mouse clicking. Useful for testing collectibles.
- Adds "," as an alternate key to open the Debug Console.
- Makes it possible to leave the Debug Map by pressing the Esc button (in the vanilla game, the only way to leave the map is to use a debug teleport).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There's several features in the Debug Map that were used to alter the rooms, however it's not possible to save the changes since the game's released. Some of the options include:
- Holding the left mouse button to drag rooms around.
- F + Left Mouse to create a filler, and F + Right to remove one. It's possible to drag their size with the mouse.
- Ctrl + A to select everything.
- Ctrl + Z to undo, and Ctrl + X to redo (however due to an error, this feature crashes the game).
- 1-7 keys change the room colors in the Debug Map.
- F1 and Ctrl + S are meant to save the changes, but the option doesn't work for unknown reasons.
- Holding Q displays the order of strawberries.